The Watching World

The Watching World
They shall know us by our love!

Wednesday, April 18, 2007

He was moved with Compassion

Matt. 9:36 When he saw the crowds, he had compassion for them, because they were harassed and helpless, like sheep without a shepherd.

I reflect on Christ's response of compassion for the crowds as I see the news of the tradegy that occured at Virginia Tech. I think of the many mothers, fathers, spouses, brothers, sisters, friends, lovers, and other family members who are just beginning the deep journey of grief. Will their journey be more difficult as they wonder at the senselessness of the act? Will there be a friend, a believer who will walk with them on this path?
And I realize that I can only open the door a small amount and for a limited time as I feel the pain of the moment. How can I enter into their suffering? How can I begin to allow my heart to be touched by the pain I see on the faces of those that remain? I don't want to allow myself to be objective and just watch the news and walk away, and yet, I sense the frailty of my being to allow my heart to absorb a tiny amount of their pain, to become a healer in the midst of the pain.
And as the Spirit ministers to my spirit, I know that God has given me a path to follow and the strength to walk each step.
God give me the desire and strength to be a healer to those who are hurting and allow my heart to absorb some portion of their pain today.

Wanderer101

No comments: