I was given an excellent book this morning. I opened the book, read a page and knew this was the book I have been searching for this past year. I have been convinced of the power of the narrative in presenting the truth of God, but I had not been able to find a book that described it with the power and clarity I knew I needed for a class text. The author connects the parts of the story, imagination and community and demonstrates how each element contributes to the powerful impact a story can have in a setting.
And, for those with a longer history in church, it gave indirectly the reason why flannelgraph was so powerful a teaching tool. It was the combination of the story, the setting portrayed on the board, and the powerful stimulation of the imagination that allowed good teachers to be powerful tools in the lives of their students.
This is a must read for anyone interested in sharing their faith to the world around them. It provides the tools, understanding and examples that will bridge the communication gap between the modern and the post-modern world.
And who knows, maybe flannelgraph will make a comeback!
Creating Stories That Connect by D. Bruce Seymour, Kregel Publications, Grand Rapids, MI
Wanderer101
The Watching World
They shall know us by our love!
Monday, May 14, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment