The Watching World

The Watching World
They shall know us by our love!

Wednesday, August 8, 2007

An Infinite God

"A God who let us prove his existence would be an idol” - Dietrich
Bonhoeffer

I wonder at the great desire that seems to be in the church to be able to prove the existence of God. Is this drive a result of a commitment to some aspect of modernism? While I think it certainly did not originate as a result of the enlightenment since it was prominent in the church centuries before, but I would guess it was definitely reinforced over the following centuries.
The world today is looking for a God that is bigger than our thoughts, a God who is full of mystery, beyond our frail attempts to define and prove. And I am forced to wonder at how to offer the world an infinite God in the frail packaging of humnanity?
Wanderer101

No comments: