Gen. 3:8-9 And they heard the sound of the LORD God walking in the garden in the cool of the day, and the man and his wife hid themselves from the presence of the LORD God among the trees of the garden. (9) But the LORD God called to the man and said to him, "Where are you?"I have reflected often on the imagery evoked in my mind by this particular passage. I think of the simple act of taking a walk in a beautiful garden in the cool of the day. A very simple act and one that gives pleasure as I take the time to absorb the calmness and tranquility it can bring to my soul.
But, it appears this passage is it talking about the infinite, almighty creator God taking His daily walk to share beautiful moments of communion with Adam and Eve. What would it have been like to simply take a walk with God in a beautiful garden, in the cool of the day? What would I talk with Him about, ask Him, tell Him about my day? What would an all-knowing God want to know, want me to tell him?
And then I read the next verse, one of the saddest in all of the Bible, “Where are you?” I wonder how could Adam and Eve could have ever given up the intimacy of relationship this simple act represented? How could they exchange this intimate love relationship for one that was marked by fear and shame? What did they think when they realized that while they must suffer the consequences of their choices, God’s love was unconditional and He covered their shame and gave them the promise that He would out of that unconditional love send His only Son to offer redemption to humanity from the bondage of fear, shame, and sin?
And then I reflect on the reality that God has clothed me, covered my shame, freed me from the guilt and penalty of sin and is offering to be my Abba Father and to walk with me in the cool of the day? God Loves Me! and desires that I will walk with Him.
Wanderer101

No comments:
Post a Comment